Monday, 11 May 2015

Mind Games

Second life has become first life
And no one lives in the real world anymore
That is except Luna
Just what will they do to pull her in…
And chain her down?

In a future world where second life has become the first life for much of the population, Luna stands out as a Refuser of technology. Determined to keep her secrets hidden from the controlling corporation PareCo, Luna does all she can to stay under the radar. However it seems her attempts have failed when PareCo invites Luna as one of the select few to participate in ‘The Test’; a means for PareCo to filter out the best and brightest of each generation. But not everything nor everyone is as it seems; with hidden agendas everywhere Luna must be careful who she trusts and how she plays the game, for one wrong move will be deadly.

As a fan of Teri Terry and dystopian fiction in general I was really excited to read this; the concept I felt had a lot of leeway in which direction the story would go and based on her previous works I knew that Terry could take it exciting places. I was however disappointed, for while I loved the character of Luna, with her fighting and rebellious spirit (and also being named after one of my favourite book characters Luna Lovegood) and was intrigued by the mystery of her world, the plot was somewhat lacking. It was perhaps the pace, too slow in the beginning and too fast in the end, that perhaps put me off but I finished this book feeling somewhat unsatisfied. 

What this story needed to be was more character driven, with a greater focus on the internal journey Luna was travelling rather than the external one. The strong focus on ‘second life’, which included long descriptions of each ‘world’, certainly distracted from the characters and the conspiracy which they were embroiled in. However I will say I loved the unpredictability of the plot and the way it surprised me, for me it just needed to be more character-driven. Mind games does intrigue with its many mysteries and its characters while not central enough in the story are likeable and engaging. This read is for anyone looking for something a little different in the dystopian genre.

Courtney :)


0 comments:

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você