Friday, 17 January 2014

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park landed on my desk a few days ago. I had forgotten why I had ordered it, and it appeared to be a romance, a genre I generally steer clear of. However, I figured there must have been a good reason I wanted it, so I started to read.

Eleanor has just moved to a new school. She's a chubby redhead with terrible fashion sense, so she's not really kicking any goals in high school. Park is half Korean in an all-white American town, as well as being interested in comic books. Despite this he manages to be vaguely accepted by the popular kids, so he doesn't want anything to do with Eleanor. He knows that she could damage his hard-won acceptance.

This is one of the brilliant things that Rainbow Rowell does in this book. She writes so truthfully about adolescence. It really brought back the sting of high school. Park is a decent kid, and he feels guilty about the way he avoids Eleanor, but doing crappy things like that is something we have all experienced in our teen years.

The the slow and inevitable fall into love is captivating to read, and heartbreaking.

So why did I order it? Well, the official Captain of Awesome (according to me, anyway) John Green loved this book. Read his review of the book here.

So now you have to read it.

This was published in the US as a YA book, but we appear to have copies that have been published in the UK as adult books. Both adults and teen welcome!

- Celia

0 comments:

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você