Monday, 15 July 2013

The 5th Wave



The 1st wave
Took out half a million people
The 2nd Wave
Put that number to shame
The 3rd Wave
Lasted a little longer.
Twelve weeks…Four billion dead
The 4th Wave
You can’t trust that people are still people
And the 5th Wave?
No one knows.
But it’s coming…

(Longlisted for the Silver Inky award 2013)

The others have come and if you didn’t die from the electromagnetic storm then you were left to survive the tsunami that destroyed the world’s coastlines. If you lived through that then you had to survive the Red death, a highly contagious bird disease. Next you had to survive being hunted by those who look and act human but are not. Survive all that and your only option…is to wait for what
comes next…

Cassie Sullivan has survived all this and now on a lonely stretch of road, armed with a M-16 rifle and her trust no-one mantra, she struggles forward determined to save her little brother Sammy. But when survival becomes dependent on the mysterious and slightly too perfect to be real Evan Walker, Cassie will be forced to choose, between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender and between life and death. Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope but can she trust him…

Not far away Cassie’s high school crush Ben Parrish also survives only to find himself interned in a military camp. Trained to the extreme Ben loses himself in order to survive and fight. But just want is Ben training for and who can and should he trust.
The fifth wave is coming…just how will they survive?

First off let me say alien invasion stories are hard to pull off and I didn’t have high expectations for this book. In fact the last alien book I read and loved was the Animorphs series when I was 12, yet Yancey managed to really blow me away because I absolutely LOVED this book. The story is very nicely unravelled with Yancey giving away little pieces of the puzzle the further you read. But what I most loved about this book was how Yancey made me question myself. I thought I had the plot down, but I never did, I thought I knew who they characters were and yet I questioned it. Cassie is just a wonderful character, typical teenage she loses none of her attitude despite all else she loses. Ben is so devastatingly broken that you can’t help but want to piece him back together. Their journeys from crashing to the very depths only to struggle back again makes for a thrilling and highly compelling read. Evan Walker…what can I say you think you know but Yancey still makes you question it. In fact I think that’s the brilliance of the story you not only question what makes us human but also like Cassie and Ben who to trust and how to trust what you know when your gut tells you otherwise.  The writing and plot is superbly delivered and while having only a handful of main characters Yancey manages to give each one soul and depth that reaches out from the pages of the book. The 5th wave is an insanely amazing read and one that will have lasting popularity for years to come. A very intense and violent read this isn’t one for the faint hearted but if you can handle such a dark tale you will become addictively hooked; one of the best reads of 2013. Pick it up…if you dare!!!



 
Courtney :)

0 comments:

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você