Friday, 5 November 2010

THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO LIVING


'The Beginner's Guide to Living' is Lia Hill's debut novel. Seventeen year old Will has just lost his mother, and the story begins with Will inspecting her corpse. Then, we move on to the funeral - where he meets great Auntie Joy and Aunty Faith for the first time. He later has a strange dream where the Aunts both stand around a cauldron wearing black tee shirts with 'Joy' and 'Faith' written on them.

Will feels isolated from his father and brother. Exams are looming, too. Then he meets Taryn, who he finds himself attracted to. Will this complicate his life further?

Will discovers of an old camera which belonged to his mother. The camera becomes a means of documenting his experiences and making some sense of his life.

A smart novel about loss, friendship and moving on.

-Ann

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read this book and I LOVE it! It is really amazing and made me think about death and other important issues that I have previously ignored. I highly recommend it. It is cleverly written and very inspirational. She wrote it very well as it is believable and in 'the voice' of the character. It has made me look at the world in a different way. I recommend it to everyone I know. FANTASTIC!! :)

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você