Friday, 5 June 2009

Great New Titles!


Last week I attended a conference called 'Reading Matters' and listened to some terrific young adult authors. I would like to tell you about some of these authors and their novels.


John Green is a lively and humourous author from USA. I loved his second novel, 'An Abundance of Katherines', a zany story about a teenager called Colin who has dated 19 girls named Katherine.


His latest novel, 'Paper Towns' is also a winner, in which Quentin and his next door neighbour Margo set off on a crazy night of adventure, filled with dead fish, blue spray paint, blackmail and breaking into Sea World.


If you are fantasy lovers or would like to try some fantasy authors, Alison Goodman and Isobelle Carmody may be right up your alley. Alison has written 'Two Pearls of Wisdom' and Isobelle the 'Obernewtyn Chronicles', beginning when she was 14 years of age.


If you haven't read any of Chris Wheat's books I think you should! Chris is a Melbourne writer who has written the outstanding 'Loose Lips', followed (many years later!) by 'Screw Loose'. Both novels are hilarious. One-liners include 'I can catch tennis balls in my mouth', 'She's cute in a bunny wabbit on speed kind of a way', and 'I do own an elephant'.


Amongst the many outstanding teenage books I've read recently I can also recommend 'Boofheads' by Mo Johnson. I loved the fake vomiting scene - when in a tight corner, pretend to vomit...then run.


For a gritty read by a debut local novelist you may like to try Broken Glass by Adrian Stirling, set amongst the wheat crops and mallee scrub of a farming community. I couldn't put this book down either!


From the conference my 'to read' list includes 'A brief history of Montmaray' by Michelle Cooper, 'Octavian Nothing' by M. T. Anderson, 'Angel Cake' by Cathy Cassidy, and 'Genesis' by Bernard Beckett.


Happy winter reading!


-Ann

0 comments:

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você