Sunday, 25 January 2009

Iron & Wine, Muse and Skins


  

So, I am proud to say that the Twilight soundtrack is fantastic and anyone who saw the movie would agree with me. I was almost more excited listening to the music throughout the film rather than watching it as many of my much loved bands were in it. Instead of reviewing the soundtrack however I'm going to review some of the albums that the songs come from. 
First of all we'll start with The Shepherd's Dog by Iron and Wine. Their song in the film was Flightless Bird, American Mouth which played during the prom scene at the end. This album is fantastic to do homework to. It's soft and has a dreamlike quality. To fully appreciate this album you need to listen to it more than once because each song is so diverse and brilliant you'll have only recovered from the genius of the last song halfway through the next. My favourite song would have to be Boy with a Coin. This CD isn't available at the library yet, but hopefully soon will be. Next we have Black Holes and Revelations by Muse; Supermassive Black Hole being the song in Twilight which played during the baseball game. I have to admit it took me a couple of listens to get into this album. Now however it's my exercise album. The beat and tempo are great to run to. The final song, Knights of Cydonia came first in the Triple J Hottest 100 last year and Supermassive Black Hole came in 18th in the 2006 poll. The album is very different from Muse's others but I think it's a good change. The lead singer Matthew Bellamy described the album as 'part dance, part rock, something we haven't done before'. Whatever it is, it's great and the library has it! And now, nothing to do with Twilight but just because I love this album at the moment I'm going to chuck in the Skins soundtrack. Starting with the fantastically diverse theme song, this album begins great and doesn't stop being great. The tracklist compiles the likes of the Gossip, Bloc Party, Adam and the Ants, The Fall and even Sid's version of Wild World from the very end of the first season if you can remember, just after Tony's accident when he's singing from the middle of the road?? Anyway, I have to admit I don't like every song on the album but the genius of soundtracks is they introduce you to some great bands like The OC soundtracks did for me; Death Cab, Interpol, Futureheads and I'm hoping Twilight will do for you, if you haven't already discovered these bands.  Anywho, I'm off to listen to more great music. Enjoy!
Bec (Age 17)

type: music
similar: Death Cab for Cutie, Angus and Julia Stone, Interpol etc and so
forth
place: anywhere, anytime
rating: Fantastic

1 comments:

Casey Cardinia Library Corporation said...

Thanks again Bec, and I'm currently putting in an order for Iron and Wine - The Shepherd's Dog :]
Look out for it and other new music CDs soon :]

Nick

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você