Tuesday, 9 December 2008

Twilight

For those of you who haven't read the book or know what it's about (I'm sure there isn't many of you) I would recommend trying this website http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/ which is the official website of Stephanie Meyer and the Twilight series. For the movie website go here: http://www.twilightthemovie.com/
I am a big reader and I read the Twilight series - all 4 books - in 1 week. I couldn't put it down and everytime I had to stop reading it, it was all I could think about and every minute of my spare time went to reading and finding out more information on the books. Needless to say I was obsessed and with good reason. A romantic vampire fiction entwined around a modern setting and danger threatens at every corner, who would want to miss that?
The story unfolds where two people from different worlds collide into a intense romance that not even fate can dismantle. Edward Cullen and Isabella "Bella" Swan can't help what they feel and are drawn together as though it was meant to be, lest their hearts break asunder at their parting....... OK that was dramatic, but that is the way the story unfolds and you can't help but be swept away with their story. Even when danger and predatory foes threaten Bellas' life Edwards family, the Cullens (animal blood drinkers), band together to save her and destroy James(a human blood drinker) who would threaten their very existence.
Everytime I think of Twilight I can't help but be reminded of Shakespeares' Romeo and Juliet. A very similar story line about 2 star crossed lovers who would defy even death to stay together.
When I was reading the book I was listening to the Twilight Soundtrack and I tried to think what song would fit into what part of the book. I'm pleased to say that when I saw the movie on Sunday 7th December at an advanced screening session, I guessed where most of the songs would be played at certain points of the story. Major fan, who me? I can also safely announce that the movie did the book justice. No main parts from the book were cut out and it was just as I had picture it. A very entertaining movie even for those who haven't read the book yet.
The movie captured the awkwardness perfectly at the start of Edward and Bellas relationship and portrayed each character as they should have been in the book. There were moments in the movie that were funny and you couldn't help but laugh or giggle at something. Jasper Cullen is just as weird as you'd think in the movie too.
And Jacob is just as cute as all the girls say, just so you know. Even when Bella opened the door to the truck and he walked into it by accident, he was still cute and it was just as funny.
I'm extremely excited about the sequels. Books 2 and 3 "New Moon" and "Eclipse" have been confirmed to be made into movies that follows on from Twilight where it ends at the Prom (Victoria makes an appearnce at the end of the movie too). Keep up to date with the news by linking to the websites mentioned above.
If you need something to read now that you've read the series, don't forget to try out the "Beyond Twilight" Reading List, which our clever Librarians have put together just for us who love this series, and this genre, way too much.
Cheers,
Laura


7 comments:

Bec said...

You sound just like me! I have only started reading the saga last week and am about to start the fourth. I am so pumped for the movie so I'm glad it's good. I have a couple of friends that hate Twilight and bag it everytime I talk to them saying that they're 'trying to save me from this mind numbing soap opera' but that's why I love it, because it is so cheesy and cliched in many aspects. Right, off to start the fourth so that I've read them all before Thursday when I see the film. Ciao

Casey Cardinia Library Corporation said...

No, you sound just like me!! hahaha. My family insist I live in a fantasy world and what I say to that is, 'the reason why I live in a fantasy world is because there isn't enough of it in the real world'.
I'm so glad you're excited about the movie. It is really good and I would've blogged more but it would have taken up the whole Quicksand frontpage!
I really loved this series, but..... Breaking Dawn wasn't exactly what I expected. I'm not sure how much you've read yet, but what ends up happening to Bella and Edward just didn't sit quite well with me and the end builds up to something major but at the last stand, the reader is found wanting.
You've just got to keep it in perspective, because where else could the book lead you? The storyline was the most logical choice.
I hope I haven't ruined it for you, but when you do finish the last chapter please let me know what you think, tell me I'm wrong ;-)

Cheers,
Laura

Chocoholic said...

Great job with guessing which songs belonged to which scenes Laura! I saw the movie on Monday (after waiting in line for over two hours - but it was totally worth it!) and it was absolutely fantastic! And how funny was Charlie? Such a dad! And Jasper and Emmett were funny in their own ways too! Actually the more i think about it the more funny scenes i think of. There were so many! It was a perfect balance of drama, action, comedy and romance.
And i totally agree with you that the movie portrayed the awkwardness perfectly, and particularly Edward's own struggle. The actors all did a fantastic job, they played the characters faithfully - it's a shame the rest of the Cullen family didn't have more lines.

Bec said...

okay, so i finished the fourth book. it was a bit...confronting but i think it was a good way to take the characters seeing as the previous three were building upon the sexual tension. i agree with u that it was the logical path to go. the last stand was a bit anti-climatic, im trying not to give too much away if people are reading and they havent read it. i mean the book is what 750 odd pages long building up to this massive show down and well nothing really happens. as for the movie. genius is all i have to say. i went the day it opened and of course the cinema was full. however, i think theres some things that dont translate well from page to screen and kinda came out a bit comedic which i dont know if that was the intention in the book. like when bella first walks into the bio lab and edward looks as if he's about to vomit. i went with the friends that hate it and of course they were literally laughing at every second, ruining every intensely dramatic scene. i did like it though. and i LOVE the soundtrack and good to hear some of my favourite indie bands getting represented. it'll be interesting to see whether they make breaking dawn into a movie because i think it's a bit out of some of the audiences maturity levels..im thinking of all the 12 year girls going to see robert pattinson. anyway, i've blabbered on long enough, it's making me want to go and see it again.
bec

Casey Cardinia Library Corporation said...

Hi again,

Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one to find certain ideas in "Breaking Dawn" confronting and abit gross. I'm not too sure either how to take Renesmes' accelerated growth either and it doesn't fit into the picture of a halfling. Notice how I'm trying to explain things without giving too much away for those who haven't read it yet? It's hard!

I wish that there was more to the ending though. It needed something else, something bigger to fill in the void of the Cullens and entourage winning the "big" fight. I'm wondering if Stephanie Meyer will write another book, because the end of the series seems unfinished because of the anti-climatic ending. Maybe there could be an all out power struggle and a rush to find "super-powered" vamps to finally overthrow an oppressive regime. And along the way maybe people are dragged into this world without a choice and by then everyone would know of the existence of vampires, a living nightmare for most?
Yeah, its got potential ;-)
So I better go see Twilight again then. I don't need an excuse to see it for the 3rd time do I?

Have a great Christmas! ;-) Keep smiling!

Laura

Siony said...

Don't worry Laura and Bec, I know exactly how you feel. I've already read the series four times, one after the other, without getting tired of it! I've got pics from the movie all over my computer as well (especially Rob Pattinson). Though I'm defin not in the least obsessed! I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but that's going to be rectified tomorrow! :)
I have to agree with Laura though about the fourth book, Breaking Dawn. It doesn't sit too well with me either. It was kind of..random, among other things. Definitely won't be good for all the little kiddies wanting to see it when the movie eventually comes out! Kind of like the Harry Potter series...
I would have liked Stephanie Meyer to write a fifth book, you know, about the future of Bella as a vamp and...well, the little present she recieved. I'm really disappointed that she won't be writing one. When I don't know that kind of stuff I get really annoyed and then that's all that I'm able to think of. *sigh*
Anyway, as much as i'd like to go on and on and on about how much I love Twilight I won't because I'm sure you've heard and seen it enough times to last you a lifetime.
Ciao,
Siony

Mel said...

Well I am not the type of person who would normally read a book like Twilight, however, after extensive encouragement from a certain chocoholic and bec I finally gave in! The verdict? Well I have to admit that this Stephanie Meyer chic has a way with words. She quickly had me sucked in to this plot line with her excellent writing style. Although I do have to say I thought the lead up to the action packed last quarter of the book moved a little slowly with all of Bella's obssessive descriptions of Edward. But that said, it is probably quite an accurate portrayal of someone severly 'in crush'...
Well I have not yet begun reading the next books in the series (as I am trying to juggle a few other books at the moment) but I am now hooked and will do so shortly!
Cheers to all you Twilight lovers!

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você