Friday, 7 November 2008

Armageddon!


For lovers of cartooning, anime, wrestling and sci fi, last weekend was the annual Armageddon multi media expo. An interesting combination? Well imagine standing waiting for an autograph from David Hewlett from Stargate Atlantis, to see people dressed as anime characters or Star Wars Storm Troopers. I listened to a panel with the cartoonists from Wildstorm talking about their work and their inspirations. The famous Jim Lee had a huge autograph queue of fans wanting a signature on his works like All Star Batman and Robin, X Men, and Fantastic Four. The constant thumping heard in the background was a wrestler, like the Sandman, hitting the mat!

Highlights for my daughters and I were meeting the "guys" from Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis: David Hewlett, Gary Jones, Ande Frizzell and Kavan Smith, the wonderful Doug Jones (Hellboy, Hocus Pocus, Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four, and Pan's Labyrinth), and for my blast from the past Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters), and William Katt (The Greatest American Hero). If you don't know who they are ask your parents!! We had autographs and photos taken with the celebrities, and sat in on "panels" or talks where these guys talked about their acting experiences! Doug Jones even recited a scene from Hocus Pocus for my 10 year old daughter. Remember Billy Butcherson's first words "Witch! Trollop! You buck toothed, mop riding, firefly from hell!"

For lovers of anime the guests included Crispin Freeman, who provided voices for Hellsing and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya, Johnny Bosch whose work includes Ichigo in Bleach and he is also in Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya. Dave Wittenberg from Naruto, and Please Teacher. Grey Delisle provided voices in Scooby Doo, Clone Wars, and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy to name a few.

So when you add Cosplay competitions and ice cream eating competitions you really have something for everyone! I'm looking forward to next year!

Cen (yeh! yeh! I know! I'm a nerd!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, I didn't know that was on. My son would love it. I must put it down in my diary for next year.
julie@pakenham :)

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você