Monday, 14 July 2008

The book that changed your life


There have been a few posts in the blogosphere of late about top 10 movies, best books and the like and one such post asked readers which book changed their lives. I thought I'd share mine here.

I read this book in Year 12 (many moons ago) and it gave me a whole new perspective on war. All quiet on the Western front is set in the 1st World War and is "an anti-war novel written by Erich Maria Remarque, a German veteran of World War I, about the horrors of that war and also the deep detachment from German civilian life felt by many men returning from the front." (Wikipedia) It was first published in 1929 and is told from the perspective of a young, inexperienced soldier and his platoon mates, most of whom are just out of school.

It was life changing for me because it opened my eyes, not only to the true horrors of war, but to the experiences that the 'alleged enemy' were also going through. It helps you realise that there are victims on both sides of any conflict and that includes the soldiers that are having to do the fighting. It is a heart-breaking book too, so if you decide to read it, be prepared.

It does all this and more in an amazingly short 200 pages. Although it has been made into a movie a couple of times, I still prefer the personal act of reading it - especially when it has the power to change your worldview, as it did with me.

If you've read a life-changing book, we'd like to hear about - you can tell us in the comments.

Michelle

0 comments:

 
quicksand © 2007 Template from Templates para Você